1/9/11

One is a Lonely Number

     One. It's a lonely number, but it also signifies a beginning. And this one post will signify the beginning of two challenges that I have started. I have read my first book of the year, and I will answer the first question for the 50QC. It's been on my mind all week, but I have just been so extremely busy that I have had time to do nothing but homework. Next week doesn't look to fun either, but hopefully I will post before Sunday.
     The 50 book challenge at first seemed like too big a number, but after taking only a week to read this book (more like 4 days) I think the goal of 50 is completely within my reach. The book was Maureen Johnson's Girl at Sea. It was a pretty amazing book. It actually taught me a lot about archeology. The main character, Clio, has to spend a few weeks with her dad in Italy on a boat with him, his new girlfriend, her daughter, an assistant from Yale, and her father's best friend. There are lots of twists and turns, and a surprise ending. I just could not put it down. The plot was really realistic, and the characters had a real depth to them, which always makes a book better. I recommend it to anyone.
     I have already begun to read the next book. Wave by Eric Walters. He is one of my favourite non-fantasy writers. His latest series of books have been about world tragedies, which his characters must survive. They are excellent, in both detail and truth. If I didn't know it was fiction, I would almost swear that it was a real account from a survivor.
     This week's 50QC question is 'how old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?' I have thought all week, when I had time to just think, about this. My answer is 18. I would choose this age because I would still be young enough to be considered a teen or child, so I would not have as many responsibilities as an adult, but I would have freedom and not be treated as a child. Also, I would either be in my last months of high school or just entering university, which would suit me just fine. I would be able to drive (though I can do that now, I just haven't cared enough to get my license). I think that 18 is an age where you begin to lose your childish beliefs and thoughts, and begin to know who you are, or are at least finally beginning to look properly. You will be forced into situations where you will get to see who your true friends really are, and how you act as a person under new situations.
     A new week lies ahead of me, with a lot of challenges and tests (literally and figuratively). If I make it through this week alive, one will be joined with another. I promise. Until then, I've got nothing else to say except DFTBA.

No comments:

Post a Comment