1/2/11

My Thoughts on a New Year



     C&H could not have said it any better*. The new year does not mean a clean slate. It does not mean a fresh beginning. It means it's the day after December 31rst, and just because that day is January 1rst only means that the annual calender cycle has restarted. People don't get excited and celebrate when the moon turns from a waning crescent to a new moon, meaning that the lunar cycle is restarting. We don't resolve ourselves to change things once a weekly cycle has past.
     To me, a new year means changing the date on homework assignments and getting a new calender. It means I am another day closer to death, and though that may sound pessimistic, it isn't. It's the cold hard truth. It means another round of winter, spring, summer, fall, winter. Another birthday, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. It means new trends and new music, new ideas and finishing old ones. Another 365 days, none of which I am ever promised. I could die tomorrow, and a 'happy new year' would mean nothing. So can we just resolve to surviving this year? I could live with that (no pun intended).
   
  *Thank you C&H for finally giving me something to tell myself for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment